18 February 2011

Obzocky

Built-in metaphor: today marks the Full Hunger Moon. 51 degrees. Opened windows upstairs and tried not to jump out of them on creative impulse.

Everyone's ten fleshed out this emissary of digital data in such sincerity and uniqueness I reconsidered scrapping the exercise. Also something about the image looks like Communist propaganda. Thank you Vampire, Undesirable Number One, Cinnamon, Eager Enid, and Tai. You're overdue Jani, All.That.Wander.Are.Not.Lost, and Alba.

1) My internal clock runs on a night rhythm, always has. As a little kid I stayed up reading beneath blankets with a flashlight radio and drank warm tapwater tea. A 4-6am to 10am sleep schedule  disdains breakfast, dinner at 9pm demands a smaller portion and thwarts bingeing despite elevated ghrelin.

2) I'm obsessed with plane crashes and failure analysis. Mostly because I'm pteromerhanophobic. Thank me on your flight for mentally repeating mantras that keep our Boeing from falling out of the sky.

3) Too busy fast forwarding a cassette to the Stone Roses' "Love Spreads", I didn't notice a truck running his red light and totaled my car at 17.

4) Thighs touching means no pants in public and nine years in skirts, collared shirts with 3/4 sleeves, high-waisted dresses, drugstore brand black tights, combat boots or wooden heels.

5) I wish I developed artistic ability beyond doodles of faceless people. (A sorry outlet, Pictionary.)  People assume I must be an artist because I’m weird and it kills me.

6) In second grade I started reading the newspaper daily, just obituaries at first. No idea why.

7) I cannot produce an accent in any language I've studied. When I worked retail, customers asked if I was foreign or my parents immigrants, which must indicate some unknown speech impediment. Three possible causes: southern upbringing, Yankee parents, orthodontics.

8) I admired prominent vertebrae at my lowest weight and became an amargasaurus in the bathroom mirror. Hunched profile, tossing back my dry lank hair, roaring like a dinosaur. I weighed myself far more than necessary for piece of mind to perform this embarrassing Cretaceous caricature.

9) I've been out to friends since eighth grade, founded my school district's Gay/Straight Alliance, received a community award for LGBT activism, did an interview about gay youth for the local alternative paper, was nicknamed "that dyke chick," yet family members aren't in the know. This previous National Coming Out Day (10/11) I explained how queer is part political identity, part rejection of binary gender and implied equality of affection in bisexuality to my mother and 22 year old sister. The former thinks I'm (still) forcing myself to be different, the latter thinks I'm (still) in denial about latent lesbianism.

10) Zen sadism appeals to my spiritual vacancy. A favorite koan:  Whenever anyone asked him about Zen, the great master Gutei would quietly raise one finger into the air. A boy in the village began to imitate this behavior. Whenever he heard people talking about Gutei's teachings, he would interrupt the discussion and raise his own finger. Gutei heard about the boy's mischief. When he saw him in the street, he seized him and cut off his finger. The boy cried and began to run off, but Gutei called out to him. When the boy turned to look, Gutei raised his finger into the air. At that moment the boy became enlightened. Another: Say this is a stick and I will beat you with it. Say this is not a stick and I will also beat you with it. Now, what will you say? Accept life likes to fuck with us and suffer your own terms. Would you lose a finger for enlightenment?





23 comments:

  1. #4... my fashion sistah!

    My new weird bone/shower thing is trying to see how much water I can hold between collarbone and shoulder in that little hollow. Now I shall try to create a ginasaurus or at least some sort of twisted bumpy arthropod. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huzzah! I was very much looking forward to your top ten and now I have been duly rewarded!

    1) that sounds amazing but inconvenient for explaining to the rest of the world.

    4) Although I'm sure you wish you felt comfortable enough to wear them. Your fashion sounds much more awesome the way it is. Feminine and edgy. I always feel like a boy in my pants and t-shirts.

    9) yeah... my aunt and uncle do not believe in "bi-sexuality" You are either gay, straight, or in denial. So annoying. *rolls eyes*

    10) I would give a finger but I would certainly part with an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! also, thanks for sharing that awesome full moon fact. It added so much more meaning to my determined fast today.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yayyy you did it!

    I loved your facts =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. RAWR!
    I would lose all ten fingers I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually I believe it was me saying the entire Rosary over and over again for the duration of the flight that kept the plane aloft.

    Zen sadism = win

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear Ilala (ee-lah-lah),

    I have decided to give you an African name after the wild, beautiful and unusual palm trees that grow here! Also, because of my received English accent, it sounds like your name! http://fanpalmtree.net/ilala-palm-hyphaene-coriacea/ This page is grammatically appalling, but interesting, nontheless!

    I always knew you were as quirky as fuck! I love being right! Kidding! How dreadful that you should be stuck with such a very boring, commonplace, dreary, dry, flat, humdrum, monotonous, plain, prosaic, run-of-the-mill, tedious, tiresome, unimaginative, uninteresting, vapid family!

    I love this post and you. Thank you for finally yielding to public demand, you really delivered! <3. XXX.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1,2,5&8 <3

    You're wonderful, don't forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you very much for the compliments :)
    still have crooked glasses but i'm working on that.
    i recently introduced my youngest sister to "stay." she now knows all the words and we scream along like banshees.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't really get this whole "honest scrap" thing. From what I've gathered I guess people nominate it for you? Or something? Confusion, so it's really not overdue for me.

    You're 'facts' or whatever they may be are interesting :) I used to read under the covers as a kid late at night, or in my closet. I always felt like in those two places I was unseen, untouchable, & kind of just escaped into the books, into a different world.

    9) Go you! That's awesome:) I was deemed "the lesbian/dyke girl" my sophomore year of high school I do believe. I still sometimes wonder if people even knew my real name? Haha

    Show your face, show your face! I have a feeling you're ridiculously pretty or something, so I think you should share that with your readers! Please?:)

    Oh PS-that video of the corgi's=cutest thing ever. I'll teach mine to do that, one day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey I just wanted to thank you for following me.

    I like your blog, it is really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Ilala-kins!

    I just read on AIM that the mid west is expecting major floods. You OK, hey? Worried that you've been carried off in a torrent of rain water! I wish we could have some rain. Apparently we have 4 months of water left. This drought is getting interesting!

    All the best. <3. XXX.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the way you write! you have a certain way with words

    ReplyDelete
  14. Regarding the last bit of my answer to your comment, no pressure, was just wondering. Sorry I'm such a doofus! <3. XXX.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thought you might get a kick out of my housemates latest post: http://fishpyjamas.blogspot.com/ I really must urge him to post again. Perhaps I'll get him fried on G 'n T's tonight. He does his best work when he's roasted! Hope you are well. <3. XXX.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is so wonderful.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you're doing well<3
    You're missed around here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i nominated you for the Versatile BLogger Award

    ReplyDelete
  19. where have you gone my friend?
    i miss your kick-ass writing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I honestly like that song, not because it's about suicide, but because it's set in my home town and that makes me feel like a part of the world, instead of a prisoner in the armpit of the world!

    Don't worry about it, I'm used to it. That's honesty, not sarcasm. Just glad to hear from you. <3. XXX.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Where have you gone?!?!?
    :***O

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just discovering your blog today, you have a riveting writing style! I'm excited to read more....and that picture is oddly fascinating. Counting visible bones?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that picture. I remember seeing it in a photographer's study of anorexics. It was hauntingly beautiful.

    On another note, I was brought up in the south (TX) and my mom was from connecticut, so my way of speech sounds funny no matter where I am!

    ReplyDelete

"Never express yourself more clearly than you think." - Niels Bohr