Unlike reverse thinspo, reverse "food porn" only offends the appetite and any romanticized notions of vintage dinner parties through lurid color photography:
 |
| Better than seeing a fish head, Americans? |
 |
| Banana candle salad with pineapple base, cherry tip, and mayonnaise discharge. |
 |
| Bologna, sweet potato, and applesauce. |
 |
| Tuna cream. ("Cow udders?" was the first comment.) |
 |
| Olive aspic tower. |
 |
| Mushroom aspic. |
 |
| Tuna picnic loaf. |
 |
| No idea what this is... salmon with avocado icing? Rich in glycine and proline! |
Fun fact: the 1950's lasting culinary contributions (unlike ring molds) include Cheez Whiz, Coco Puffs, IHOP, and MSG in baby food.
Halfway through the decade, Dwight Eisenhower noticed a similarity between schoolchildren's bellies and the mass consumption of gelatin. He organized the President's Council on Youth Fitness, then shot Kennedy seven years later, who'd taken credit.
Many thanks to
Gee, That Food Looks Terrible! for filler.
My mother made an equally abominable and related dish tonight, green bean casserole (condensed cream soup, fried onions) as a side to short ribs. I was excused, arriving late enough from work to get by fixing fruit salad over mesclun while
Real Time with Bill Maher diverted attention. Heard a nifty tip somewhere frozen ginger grates easier, shredding lighter than fresh parmesan. I never thought in high school I'd turn out this banal, the highlight of my day tossing strawberries in white balsamic, pondering a little too long whether to slice grapes or trust them not to roll off the plate whole. Low novelty seeking scores, Holly determined. Then again, I'm no longer a 14 year old girl spitting into porcelain because she can't in her parents' faces. Safety in routine, not a very original thought here. M.C. Escher, notorious celebrant of needless complexities, put it best, "We adore chaos because we love to produce order." But these fears, this restlessness, the failures, aren't pressure to thrive under. You forsake esoteric concepts like ambition or love for the immediate security of basic needs and self-punishment of disruption. I'm losing. Mind, words, flesh. It's just so comfortable.
loved the link. i have never seen that! those photos are great..i want to frame and hang them in my apartment. they remind me of this old betty crocker cookbook my mom has. with a bright orange cover it was passed down from her mother it's like a bible, stuffed with papers and things.
ReplyDeletep.s..you should write a book (if you're not already).
Wow, that all looks absolutely foul. And I'm certain that I'm not the only person that immediately saw male genitalia when looking at the banana candle...
ReplyDeletexo
Victoria
First off I'd like to thank you for posting these pictures, my want to go eat breakfast has been shattered :)
ReplyDeleteMy mom makes green bean casserole too and it disgust me, I always feel like it's sticking right to my cheeks when eating it, making my face expand right then and there. Of course everyone else says "it has green beans in it! it's a healthy dish"
I love the pictures XD They're disgusting
ReplyDeleteThe penis dish is heinous. The website is awesome.
ReplyDeleteI'm feeling quite restless myself, what are we to do? Also, Exclamation points will never be superfluous between us!!!!!!!!
awful pictures !! Yuk-Yuk ! Disgusting, I almost wanna vomit !
ReplyDeleteI don't want to seem to be a chauvinistic but in France all dishes are appetizing !
ive lost my appetite
ReplyDeleteand im fasting XD
These pictures are ill!
ReplyDeleteHappy V Day! http://home.comcast.net/~magnta/ValentinesDayWhore.jpg
OMG my step-mother is full of weird nasty recipes like those!! She and her whole family are stuck in some weird time warp where it's still the 1950's... I have nightmares about the Green Mold.
ReplyDeleteThat part about Eisenhower and Kennedy made me laugh so hard I actually snorted. I never do that. :/
xo
Okay, no need to eat dinner now, I have completely lost my appetite. Picnic Tuna Loaf? Because that's going to keep well in a basket in the sun.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I love your profile page. "Vegetable gardener. Monsanto conspiracy theorist" I don't garden (yet), but I am totally with you on the other one.
that food is beyond repulsive. I can't imagine anyone eating that the thought makes me ill.
ReplyDeleteMight have to come back to this page everytime I feel like eating something I shuoldn't!
~ H
http://complexity-reworked.blogspot.com/2011/03/versatile.html
ReplyDeletethis is great, this will help me not eat so much now, thank you.
ReplyDelete