The season gave the gift of two-pronged compliments. Both of my sisters struggle with their weight as well: the middle one at her highest from a boyfriend who eats out twice a day and an abandoned daily exercise routine, the youngest from college life and natural gain with age after pubescent years affectionately nicknamed Scrawn Queen. Our womanly laments reek of hyperbole. Youngest pressed her leg against mine in our seats at the movie theater and remarked, "You're like the lowest I've seen you. Your thighs are the size of my calves. You're. too. thin." Is this always a script? People tend to read my height into my weight. Petite, I was called tiny even at a 22 BMI. If I admit the numbers in frustration, they roll their eyes. "I wish I was x." Every time the same line, no thought to proportionality. Their perception cannot be trusted any more than my own. Were my clinician's self-selected tables and calculations more valid than the Hamwi Formula? Is Hamwi more trustworthy than the nervous thumb and index finger circling my wrist? Do vague psychiatric guidelines trump the right to body autonomy?
Thin-obsessed, the phrase lashed at our modern culture, is not the same as thin-supportive. Dieting is a pursuit without a goal, a competition where we draw each other's finish lines before our own. Any opinions on the Allie Crandell controversy? Revolve Clothing will rescue a girl from their own miscalculated image through public shaming. Health provides a scapegoat for unattractive. It's how America's Next Top Model could celebrate Ann's improbable 18-in. waist but eliminate Anamaria in the first episode for looking emaciated.

Moral of the story: you're never sick until you're ugly.
All I want for Christmas is to be left alone.
Happy what-have-you.
Thin-obsessed, the phrase lashed at our modern culture, is not the same as thin-supportive. Dieting is a pursuit without a goal, a competition where we draw each other's finish lines before our own. Any opinions on the Allie Crandell controversy? Revolve Clothing will rescue a girl from their own miscalculated image through public shaming. Health provides a scapegoat for unattractive. It's how America's Next Top Model could celebrate Ann's improbable 18-in. waist but eliminate Anamaria in the first episode for looking emaciated.

Moral of the story: you're never sick until you're ugly.
All I want for Christmas is to be left alone.
Happy what-have-you.
Totally agree with the ANTM thing. I'm so confused..they eliminated her for looking "too thin," yet Ann looks like she's a skeleton..which I'm very jealous of.
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain... I was the other day told I'm at a 'scary low weight' of 99 pounds and a bmi of 19 point fucking 3... I TRIED to explain this... people are weird. 19.3 for crying out loud!
ReplyDeleteFUCK SOCIETY!!! That's my moto! I refuse to let society dictate my life to me, let alone, what my body should look like.
ReplyDeleteI usually respond to the "you're too thins" with "you're not qualified to make that diagnosis" and to the qualified, I say, "That's just your opinion and opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one and they all stink!" I'm a cunt that way!
Hope you have a great weekend, despite the family drama! XXX.
I wanted to tell you I followed your advice and finally got my grubby little paws on some Edy's pumpkin ice cream. I'm saving 60 cals a serving -- thank you for the heads up. <3
ReplyDeleteI also hate hearing I'm "too thin" for being at a certain number of pounds when I am not at a clinically underweight BMI (or just at the cusp). WTF? I doubt very seriously that people hugging the other side of the normal BMI range are told they are "too fat."
ReplyDelete"I wish I was x"
ReplyDeleteLove that.
Stay Beautiful, Merry Christmas <3
How tall are you?
ReplyDeleteNot very, Ana Marie. It's similar to Small's frustration over false concern. Mine isn't about medical standards but comparison to other bodies. I'm healthy, average, and that is only a problem to someone bigger. Bullshit.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree with you. People on my end are only comparing me to how I used to look and not at all taking into consideration how I should look for my height and body type. It'd disgusting how people are only willing to accept how you look as long as it doesn't make them feel uncomfortable with themselves.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean. I hate people telling me I should put on weight because I am too thin for someone of my height. What an argument. As if they knew how much I weigh, or how much I should weigh.
ReplyDeleteThe America's Next Top Model thing pissed me off. I don't usually watch that show, but I happened to see that episode with Anna Maria. The fact that Tyra said they didn't want to be encouraging that image really got me. The one who won that season was just as "emaciated!"
ReplyDeleteGrr...
I know I'm going about weight loss in an unhealthy way, but at the same time, why is it ok for people to tell me I'm too thin, but it's not ok for me to tell someone else that they're too fat? That's just as unhealthy.
<3
"Their perception cannot be trusted any more than my own."
ReplyDeleteThis is exactly how I feel. 40 pounds ago I was told I wasn't fat by family & friends. I was overweight. Now they tell me I'm skinny, I'm still overweight considering my height. I can never trust what people say. I swear they're more of a lunatic than I am.
It's true that you're never considered sick until you're ugly. Look at the celebrities that are 50+ years old and weigh close to 100 pounds when they were a healthy 120+ in their earlier years..they still look beautiful though with all the glam, make up, & fashion... so no one could ever think "oh their sick" they just use the same excuses like "oh they've always been thin, its just how their bone structure & metabolism is"
Ok I'm rambling & pretty sure making no sense. Nice post though:)
this really is rather wonderful.
ReplyDeletexo
Hi Honeyface!
ReplyDeleteWishing you all the best for 2011. Hope you have all the things of which you dream and more. You're the coolest chick in the Mid-West and then some! I love you to bits.XXX