Tai wins: the asterisk hid a download of an '83 Eyeless in Gaza recording, though their best is undoubtedly their 7" Kodak Ghosts Run Amok with "China Blue Vision".
Did surprisingly well the past two days: an apple, tekka maki and gari, mushrooms finger-picked out of leftover pumpkin risotto. My mother feels too sick to bother preparing eggplant parmesan for dinner. I'll heed this rare alignment of stars and brew us cups of honeybush once Oprah retreats. I moved back after a brief and undignified second intensive-partial-inpatient treatment. Food issues are never raised in concern at home, only humiliation. Like standing in the middle of the grocery aisle contemplating a processed food item, asking, "Would you keep this down?" Eyes darting to the other carts who tune us out with the muzak, hoping for sympathy, saved face. It's not her fault. Her daughter's throwing up is a tantrum, an artistic temperament disdainful of suburban sanctity. My mother and treatment team act the same way; instead of merely asserting authority, they rub in dependency. They label anyone different as difficult. True, I chuckled at heteronormative appeals to fertility or nonsense about Barbie's real-life measurements but ate everything on my plate (except for pork, rice, and green beans, permitted refusals) and dutifully discussed My Past with the idiot counselor who never hid her checklist. If they suspect their own impotence, your transcript reads umanageable.
I'm technically EDNOS, purging disorder as opposed to bulimia. The diagnosis reeks of wannarexic self-identification in "pro-ana" spheres, and I avoid it. The last psychiatrist my parents tried - Holly, at a Christian practice with Focus on the Family pamphlets in their waiting room - deserves some credit for the distinction. I have the raw anger of the bulimics, none of their impulsivity, the avoidant behavior of the anoretics without their perfection. I have a healthier relation to food than most. Thank the gardening, cheesemaking, and other quasihipster culinary sustainability hobbies (someday, apiculture) I should share with obsolete Transcedentalist utopias or a lesbian separatist commune like Alapine. Cooking allows more control than eating. Why let eating disturb you if you know your purging undoes it? I can't think like that anymore with physical complications in the way of our escape clause. I'm too aware of food and lost any pleasure in abstention months ago when the pain started. We all know fat does not mean recovered.

I love saved by the bell.
ReplyDeleteAt least you don't get pressured to eat.
I´m sorry you´re feeling like this....maybe it will get better, easier, i really don´t know.
ReplyDeletexx
First off, Your picture made me crack a huge smile today.
ReplyDeleteAnd you're absolutely right. People are incredulous when they fail to persuade you over to whatever societal dogma they've bought into. Something must be wrong with your rationality if you haven't come to the same conclusions they have.
Keep fighting on!
elara, im sorry i am just f***n agitated right now, i will read your post later, its just YES!!!! 24 h party people was excactly what i was thinking of when i saw control, this was so much better. i cannot believe you wrote that. this damn popular culture that had the potential to save me.us maybe. why did it die???thank you. thank you.
ReplyDeleteMy god, that's quite a diagnosis! I truly love how dark your writing is!
ReplyDeleteIt's doubtful whether I have an eating disorder of any kind, I'm far too fucking boring! I have food issues, related to food sensititvty and weight issues, probably related to vanity! See, total fucking snore fest... Elara? Elara, wake up! Kidding!
I find your hobbies and interests deeply cool. I wish I was cool like that! Oh well!
XXX.
and eating does not make anything any better. oh the therapists!they are so confused when you are not willing to fit into their sad little grids. most therapists are like most hairdressers - rubbish.
ReplyDeleteand you -
immaculate taste in music and knownledge. i hate when people say that to me. let's say i can see you. from one music person to another.
it's a weird night over here. i know i should stay awake.
sleep tight.
Pleats aren't hard to do, just time consuming.. at least for me because everything had to be exactly perfect and I'd never done it before.
ReplyDeleteLoved saved by the bell! :)
ReplyDeleteFood issues are completely ignored in my household. While I starve & b/p..everyone else here just over eats, heart attacks at 50-yet they seriously think it's not the food their eating, just the fact all their parents/relatives died that way so it's "normal"-Why does everything think avoiding the situation will work? So odd.
ReplyDeleteFat definitely doesn't mean recovered, honestly I don't even know if I believe in recovery. I think I'll always have fucked up food issues.
I hope you get to feeling better & that everything is okay.
You are absolutely brilliant. I hope you know that. Everything here, wow. By the way, I always get in-between diagnoses so I never know where I lie. It complicates things, but it's also a nice excuse out of "that doesn't apply to me."
ReplyDeleteWow, the way you write is truely wonderful. It really is quite a talent, perhaps you should pursue a career in writing.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It will get easier, it always does