29 November 2010

Ironic Process

The house is empty now. Today's is the first morning I haven't woken to terrible Quebecois pork smells, cretons on toast or warmed leftover tourtière and a pork stuffing we don't have a bastardized name for. Same dish, different textures. I got off a little on taking a piece of coconut cream pie for breakfast with homemade whipped cream. Gave my pitiful three-legged dog the crust before a triumphant toss in the trash can, untouched. I don't normally waste food like that. The pie taunted me, though, cellophane wrap catching in the glare of the fridge bulb when I went for a container of strawberries. So I dressed it up and dropped it to prove nothing to no one.

The performance ran contrary to how I've been better able to restrict lately, regarding it as 'doing nothing' instead of a conscious effort. Fight or flight? Nah, my biological mechanism learned to freeze. Dumber than an ostrich with its head in the sand is the kid who closes their eyes to disappear. Stay in bed, spend hours looking at job listings and resume/cover letter improvement sites, avoid food and the question of eating altogether. I have to be careful getting caught up in inertia. Once slipped into dysthymia, I can't be bothered to even shower. Bulimics displace hunger, the physical, for appetite, the desire. Anorexics kill the desire. And I've always been able to deny what I want most if it suggests any sort of emotional risk or inconvenience. "Hold on; hold fast; hold out," wrote Georges-Louis Leclerc, "Patience is genius." Hunger contractions last thirty seconds and pangs go on for forty-five minutes. If you manage to hold out, those won't return for hours.

While laying about, I watched All Over Me, an intensely authentic independent film I saw back in 2002 on IFC late at night, a blanket thrown over the television to hide its glow, lest my parents discover lesbian movies! In our basement! Plot: two friends' coming of age in Hell's Kitchen presents with complications. Distant families, drugs, bad boys, gay boys, homicide. This movie also has a rather hip soundtrack up there with Movern Callar and Breakfast on Pluto, which you immediately know by Babes in Toyland's "Hello" in its trailer. Tara Subkoff from the upcycled designer line Imitation of Christ (Chloë Sevigny was a creative director) played Ellen, the almost Borderline best friend, when she was actually 25. She's impossibly tiny. An IMDB user described her as "Buffy the Vampire Slayer if Buffy were the vampire instead of the slayer." 

The taller one is the protagonist, Claude. Her mother is diet-obsessed to the point of adding a funhouse mirror in their kitchen. Bizarre? Clever?

Pictures of headless swimsuit models adorn the fridge, too.
Murmurs-era Leisha Hailey showed up as the grrl band love interest of Claude, sweetly tolerant of Claude's insecurity and epic freakout to "Pissing in a River." Check out that clavicle, and of course there's no need to mention the awesome pink hair.
Today's intake with designated animal protein: fresh orange mango juice, granny smith apple, oolong tea, mashed potatoes, white meat turkey, gravy with the fat skimmed off the top. Less than 500 calories. Better tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. The movie looks interesting, I'll have to give it a look. I'm using the free blogger. I'll I've been able to do with it so far is post but that works for me. Have a good week lovely

    xo
    eliena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never watched or heard of that movie, I'm gonna look it up and try to rent it.

    Fun house in the kitchen?!? genius. If I lived alone I'd definitely do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard of that movie a while ago, but wasn't sure whether or not I should watch it. I think I'll rent it now, it looks pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my god i walk tara's dogs. i didn't really know she was that famous but i knew about the brain tumor. she's STILL that tiny. how weird that you mentioned her.

    i love what you did with the pie. why are we always trying to prove nothing to no one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I saw your comment earlier. Thank-you so much for that perspective. I needed it. I guess I underestimated myself. I guess I got scared.

    I love that idea, by the way. Hold out until the pangs go away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Elara, thanks for dropping by. Patti Smith has one of the most unique voices and I am always able to relate to her lyrics. Easily one of my top ten favourite singers. (-:

    ReplyDelete

"Never express yourself more clearly than you think." - Niels Bohr